Sunday, February 10, 2008

Virtual Interviews

After reading the article about virtual interview with SecondLife, I came to the realization that the business world is taking a huge leap in technological interaction. I think this can be a great addition to the already formal and defined interview process for job seeking.
The virtual interview process, in my opinion, should only be an additive to the job selection process. What this means is that it could be done at a stage of the interview process when there are a select number of candidates left, such as 10. I think these interviews on SecondLife can be used to gather information about the candidates' personality and how tech-savvy they are. These are only two of the many criteria used for employee selection, and I think that SecondLife can only be used for these two things. Conversations can be transmitted through this virtual world, yes, but a face-to-face interview, in my opinion, is the only and best way to grasp the full attention and ambitions of the job candidate.
SecondLife is used for entertainment, interaction, and mostly advertising. There are some millionaires from the SecondLife business world, but they are few and far between. I think that this virtual world is a great vessel to keep in contact with job applicants and maybe can be used to hold informal interviews with less business related conversation. I think that this will give companies a head start on the selection process for jobs, especially if they are wanting to hire an employee with a great technical background or personality.

No comments: